Many people forget to check these basic things before making blog posts or writing an article and then wonder why they they suck in Google SERP. So here is a check list:
1. Is the keyword related to the entire websites content?
2. Is the keyword you are aiming at in the title?
3. Have you typed the keyword in the article body in different forms? Like if you type LA Real Estate in your article a 100 times, Google will find out, type it in different ways like real estate in LA etc..
4. Is your article of any worth to human users?
5. Is your article getting links from other pages in your blog/website?
6. Have you used the bold tag in your article?
7. Is the keyword density good? at about 4 – 5 %, there are softwares to check this.
8. Is your article long enough?
If the answer is yes to all of these questions then you have to build more links but if its a keyword with low competition, you will get top SERP.